Friday, April 5, 2024

 dd 4 5 


Just when you stop to think you realize you shouldn't stop to think because you have no idea what's going to happen next and in our case a tree came down hitting the house going through the roof and apparently squashing the deagle house,, I haven't been up there to look at it..I've seen  Photographs and spent a lot of time wondering about the basic construction of that house with regard to being struck with an awfully large tree.. It is a Boyne falls log home where the logs are vertical and if I remember correctly they have a small spline between each pair of logs which are then nailed together with a very long spike,,, and the logs overhead in the living area are basically in tension---holding the walls from  falling out as the walls take all the weight of the roof.

I looked forward to trying to figure out what happened because the hardware from the skylights ended up in the kitchen on the other side of a 8 foot wide stone fireplace and chimney which maybe  holding the whole thing up at the moment,   both Elizabeth and husband nick are extremely capable and intellectually coping with a house with no roof... Elizabeth and I discussed the 8 manure buckets that she has distributed all over the living room area and how they make a different tone as the drips fall just as many have done with wine glasses she now has going with manure buckets.... and I told her of my scheme in Lynnfield running a siphon hose between 3 garbage cans so they all would fill at the same time. 

Fortunately both Elizabeth and nick have the general attitude of dealing with whatever is served up. And the general attitude of helping me has not wavered as Elizabeth produced a Turkey dinner with gravy and nick came over to make sure the the extension cord was usable between the laundry building and me in the cabin...

I do fear the cold and that pellet stove has to have electricity to run.... which in my mind removes it's basic usefulness..  my old Glenwood cook stove would never let you down just for lack of electricity....

Who would have thought that the only place without an instant on generator is the cabin where I now live for reasons too complicated to even get into.

 

If anybody out there has engineering background who can tell me things to look at I certainly would appreciate the help all I could think of at the moment is to locate my 4 foot long level hopefully it's in the workshop to be sure that the building hasn't moved off the vertical... if that's the case we have a much bigger problem.. but assuming for the moment that that's not the case we need to get into the back of bud's world where I had ordered cases of tarps of various sizes and I have a feeling that the tarp that was on the donkey cafe is what we're going to need to cover part of the roof of the house and I think I did order a case of those about a year ago knowing that one after another would get ripped up..

 

Good old Goldie is right on the ball because among the emails that I had today was one from tarps.com

how appropriate !!