Friday, May 7, 2021

may 7 2021

 and a good time was had by all.

 2021 5 7

 

Dan is packing up to leave for the airport just having had a very interesting 7:00 AM coffee session. Dan has a very lively mind and it's been fun having a lot of different ideas flying around. One of the things flying around is if we straightened out the fencing we'd be  looking a lot better and in many cases purely straightening out the line would be helpful-----because a lot of the fencing---- especially on these runs off the nut house----- were put up in a great hurry by a couple teenagers who's best asset was pounding posts ----but the concept of a straight line was a little bit beyond them.----- Normal people as Dan is,  are  more inclined to address the cost of fencing meaning post boards Y or whatever and he is from Florida so I have to forgive a little bit there because he's living on sand..  however here in New England the cost of the hole is a very significant part of the project.. there is a possibility of being able to replace much of our split rail fence by very carefully pulling out the posts that are there now and very quickly putting up 4 by 4 down in that same hole.. and I just might try that today..   Our split rail is in tough shape---  and as my father would be inclined to say or fencing would make far better firewood then it would be fencing.. to replace the split rail.  would would be prohibitive.  which is another term perhaps for waste of money when there are perfectly good other solutions I have some research to do that but certainly putting up one 10 foot section a board fence painting it white would be very interesting and it wouldn't take much on my part to sit in the tractor and move my right hand forward and backward an inch or two..

I never understood why operating a backhoe is considered a man's job...   When it is a lot easier to operate than an  electric sewing machine.. With our backhoe.  it really is a skinny man's job... because the control levers   are too close to the seat for my liking.. bud has no trouble working  it at all.

 

I am told there is a shortage of lumber because of cov... I am not sure of the relationship—new house building???  At any rate I will go to the lumber yard today an see what they have.. I will need 2.   4x4x6’ posts 2 boards 10’  long and a small can of white paint to see if it visually “works...” as a sample....

 

Plan then being to make the puppy pen  white  boards with some kind of liner.... maybe even the  netting that is already there..   The old puppy pen the “V” pen had one inch chickenwire covered with plastic polyurathane whatever..  it was nice because you couldn't quite see it and it lasted for years I still have pieces of it somewhere.. I may use those pieces to make the various gates we need and then use the soft plastic netting around the rest of the pen..

 

The whole thing is going to be dependent on the availability of 4 by4's and boards.

 

FY I--- absolutely useless concept which I learned somewhere along the line is lumber is measured in board feet and this isn't simple ----a board foot of lumber is 12 by 12 bye one inch thick which turns out after they planing  it to be 2 normal boards at 5 1/2 inches each that are no longer one inch but are actually 3/4 of an inch thick so already you're screwed up but the concept of the board foot is measured 12 by 12 by an inch thick 144 square inches...and that's how they price lumber so if I have a 6 foot 4 by 4..  oh I do hope I get this right how many board feet is that ???  the 4 by 4 would be four boards wide which would  16 inches wide.  6 feet long   or 16 x (6 x 12)  1152  sq inches. Or 8 board feet. So if lumber iis quoted  in n the wall street journal at now $3 ... they mean $3 x 8  or $24  for a 4 x 4  6 feet long...   

Oh  brother--- have at it...   that is from my  experience at least 45 years ago.  A board foot was a  a board foot.

 

I am getting out of here—there is a breakfast place on the wway to the lumber yard... and I will report on the drive around condition of the lunmber