Friday, April 23, 2021

APR 23 2021

 here we go with another hairdryer special...-i can not imagine 99 % of you will find this useful..... but i sure found it  an amazing. project to have some fun with..... IN THE WIDE OPEN SPACES. -- COV STYLE PROJECT...

the problem is.... chaos... is getting up there. 12 YEARS. .. and not what you would call slender---well she maybe slender under all teh various lumps and bumps... at any rate -- getting back up the hill is discouraging to her.  i have seen her stand at the bottom of the hill and wonder if GOING OUT FOR A WALK WAS WORTH THE STRUGGLE WITH THAT HILL BACK TO THE COMFORT OF THE COUCH. AND INTELECTUALLY SHE IS  RIGHT ON THE BALL.... QWE WENT THRU THIS WITH BAILEY.. AND QUITE A FEW OTHERS.... AGE IS NOT FOR THE MEEK. TEH VARIOUS 4 WHEEL WAGONS.. OF WHICH I HAVE A FEW... ARE TOO HIGH.. AND THEN I REMEMBERED THE LITTLE 2 WHEELED DUMP CART I FOUND  FOR DOGFEST IN CASE ANYONE WANTEDD TO TRY  BACKING UP A TRAILER...  BUT NEVER  MANAGED TO GET A TIGHT ENOUGH HITCH TO PLAY WITH IT..  WITH  CHAOS STANDING THERE SAYING "PLEASE DO SOMETHING"  TIME HAS COME.
THE REAR OF MY GOLF CART  IS TOO H IGH TO HOOK ON THE TRAILER-- TEH ANGLE WOULD THEN DUMP CHAOS BACK ONTOT HE GROUND,, SO  TO KEEP I T LEVEL I HAD TO DROP THE HITCHING PART 10 INCHES.
WITH A RIGHT ANGLE AND 6 INCHES ON  THE TOP AND ANOTHER RIGHT ANGLE AND  A HOLE TO DROP A BIG BOLT IN IS WHAT I NEEDED... I USED A STRI[P OF  CARDBOARD TO  GET TEH DESIGN RIGHT..  I MENTIONED THIS TO  YOU ALL CP'S IN GENERAL.. AND GOT BACK THE DIY VERSION OF IRON BENDING... BECAUSE CHAOS REALLY NEEDS THIS WITHOUT WASTING TIME HAVING ME LEARN TO BEND METAL, I TOOK WHAT ASSETTS I HAVE ( MONKEY FIST MAKING) AND WENT TO MY HANDY DANDY  WELDING COMPANY. LAWTONS.. IN TOPSFIELD..   I WISH I HAD LEARNED TO WELD...... HOWEVER.....

2021 4 23

LAWTONS does big welding jobs like scaffolding and things like that but through the years I've gotten to know the owner a little bit so I just pulled around the back and sat there with my bent piece of Cardboard till somebody finally came out and wondered why I was there---- there was a little bit of confusion because the owner as apparently retired and I had new people to train to some of the idiot things I might have need to have welded ---so I handed my little piece of Cardboard to a very confused welding expert and explained to him what I needed and he said fine can we get it for you tomorrow or do you need it right now I I said tomorrow would be fine I was making great progress so I went away and in a couple hours got a phone call but it was done beautiful it's probably 3/8 inch metal absolutely perfect right angles holes where I needed them and a ring at the bottom for the pin perfect so for the cost of two monkey fists and two calendars and THE WAGON IS HITCHABLE....


Just a small aside I had pulled around to the back door of this significantly sized welding establishment full of large hard working men who were flabbergasted TO FIND A  little lady routine at their back door WITH the three great Danes .. Luckily the two men who came out love dogs and were thrilled to have a dog to Pat for a few minutes---- so after I'd given them my piece of Cardboard one of them stayed behind to help me back out which was very nice of him and I explained that if I hit three things in one day I had to stop driving but I could see he was very nervous I told him he should have been there the day I pulled around there with my horse trailer----- it had an awful time backing out but I made it sometimes being the little old lady with Cardboard patterns    has the entertainment value THEY’LL  go home and have a beer someplace it'll give him something to talk about


WITH buds ability to BOLT  it to my golf cart we now are making great strides to being able to get chaos up the Hill ..

 

I'm going to have to cover the wagon with that blue stuff that we have all over the floor in the living room from pig company   I don't know what they call it but it's wonderful it really sticks well and provides traction aside from that---- the little wagon needs a little bit of decoration----- I'm sure somebody will take care of that---- put on racing stripes or something ----because it is sort of a dreary black at the moment ..

so back to the camera person telling me how I could have tried bending the stuff myself .. I never heard of this process but I can see where it probably would work and he OUT


LINED  the details  with charcoal bricks and a hair dryer

How to bend  iron  if an acetylene torch is not available.  A CRAZY ACRES PROJECT IF EVER THERE WAS ONE.

You will need a way to heat the bend area to cherry red and bend them using a big vise and hammer.

The way to do this is with charcoal briquettes (used for cooking food) and the exalted hair dryer.

Using a Grill (or other suitable container) stack the charcoal briquettes on top of some sand in the container to make a ‘blacksmith’s forge’. Light the briquettes and apply a blast from the hair dryer, as needed, until the coals are very very hot.

Now bury one end of the steel plate within these hot coals to heat the area to be bent. The whole plate does not need to be heated, just the bend area.

Keep the hair dryer directed right at the coals and the buried plate end so it is heated very hot right at the intended bend point. You want a bright red...or straw color, if you can achieve it.

Apply additional heat right at the bend point, using propane or MAP torches if you have them. Use two if you can. The hotter you keep the bend area the easier it will be to bend.


Note: Rounded radii at the bend points is best, to reduce stresses. Sharp bends cause stress risers and are not desired.


When it is as hot as you can get it, quickly remove it from the ‘forge’ and clamp the end in a big vise with the long end standing up, and the short end clamped in the vise at the bend line.

With gloves! Pull on the long end and use a big hammer, at the junction of the plate and vise, to persuade the plate to bend over 45 degrees. Use a template of a 45 degree angle cut from wood to help judge when the angle is achieve.

The propane torches should be used to apply heat to the plate at the bend point while it is in the vise and being bent, so it stays hot. Remember, the hotter the better during the bending process. If it cools, reheat it.


Let it cool on its own. Do not place in water to cool. It needs to be flexible, not brittle.

Drill the holes to suit using lots of edge-distance.


Bolt one end tightly to the tractor hitch point with a big threaded bolt , big washers and one or two lock nuts. If it is attached tightly to the tractor it acts as an extension of the hitch. All the pivoting should occur at the trailer attach point at the lower end.

----

WOW...  WITH THAT INFO ....NEXT TIME COULD BE INTRERESTING.


IN THE MEANTIME TODAY WILL BE TRAINING CHAOS TO  UNDERSTAND SHE CAN GO AND VISIT DOWN BY THE T TENT.. AND WE WILL GET HER UP THE HILL TO HER SOFA.


INTELECTUAL STIMULATION IS SO CRITICAL FOR THE AGING..