Sunday, May 31, 2015

may 31,2015
i am late...kathy oliver is nominating me for something which might get us between 10,000 and 25,555 $$ - for that i needed to look up specific informantion--- which took a while.
i think the official number ofs dogs donated to service is 106 as of 2014-

the rafters for the  building is over 1/2 up thanks to ge....wednesday they got the plqace orqnized and ready and saturday the crew worked out details to gt it going.    the first rafter was teh hardest....   but 6 are now up.. there is a video twan made of the episode somewhere.. only problem is we are minus one leg....  i will call tomorrow.

i have a great deal to saay about the  treatment i recieved from a new employee of home depot who didn't know me  and proceeded to give me the simple minded little old lady  routine-- complete with "do you think you could back that truck into the doorway?" in a very condescending manner...  he literlly would  not let me  buy some concrete until i said "i have had it ... get the manager"  then he decided to get me 10 bags of what i wanted.

there s a mindset-----  i will tackle that later..

my delightful discovery-- sent to me by michelle dunn  -- i had a wonderful time with this line of thought.
**********
HI CARLENE!

I'M A CP AND THOUGHT SINCE YOU LIKE MYTH BUSTERS AND TED TALKS YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE VIDEOS.  I FOUND THIS FIRST VIDEO AND GOT HOOKED.  IN IT, A MAN SHOWS HOW THE BRAIN HANDLES HAVING TO UNLEARN AND THEN RELEARN HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE WHEN IT'S ALTERED SO THAT THE STEERING TAKES YOU IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION TO THE WAY YOU TURN.  IT'S FASCINATING!!! 

The Backwards Brain Bicycle - Smarter Every Day 133



HERE'S ANOTHER GOOD ONE ABOUT HOW SPAGHETTI BREAKS DIFFERENTLY THAN MOST OTHER RODS.



HE HAS LOTS MORE VIDEOS AS YOU CAN SEE, SO CLICK AWAY IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.  IF NOT, IGNORE!

ALL THE BEST,
MICHELLE DUNN
VILLA PARK, IL
************
This week's funny story is brought to you by one of the more remarkable traits of Ethel's.
Ethel was accompanying me on a speech therapy appointment last week and was sprawled out in boredom on her mat in the office where I was doing exercises. I was sitting across from a speech therapist and concentrating on the exercises she was asking for my brain injury rehabilitation.
 
"Give me three definitions of the word court in sixty seconds"
 "Court. To court someone is similar to dating someone but with intention of marrying. Then there's the judicial court where sentences on lawbreakers are passed.."
 "ffffrrrrpppttttttt"
 
My face turned red. "Andthelastisthekindofcourtyouplaysportson" I finished quickly. I looked down at Ethel, still sprawled out, and wanted to laugh but I had never met this therapist before and she had already proven to be a very strict, no nonsense type of person. She acted like she hadn't heard anything in response to Ethel's contribution to my answer.
But before she could ask me the next question, I started to smell it wafting up from below the table. Ethel's unmistakable mark. I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep myself from cracking up.
"Ahem. Now tell me everything you can think of that is blue in sixty seconds."
 "Blue. Um, blueberries. The sky. Bodies of water…" I saw my therapist give her nose the slightest of wrinkles and I knew the smell had hit her too. ".. Donald Duck's shirt. Sometimes Christmas lights…." She got up from her seat and moved to the doorway where she, without a word, opened the closed door to give the cramped office some ventilation.
 
I finished that exercise and soon I was released, where in the hallway I buried my face in Ethel's neck to bust out laughing. Later that day I was finishing up at the Rehab Institute where I get all my medical treatment and had just been handed a copy of my appointments for the following week. I knew I was going to be scheduled for speech therapy again but I started laughing when I saw I was not going to be seeing that therapist again. Maybe she didn't find my girl's uniqueness as adorable as I most certainly do.
Thank you again for my amazing gift,
Julia

******************
 WE WILL TRY TO STAY DRY OVERNITE.  ONLY 3 DAYS IN MAY THAT WE DIDN’T HAVE RAIN.  OUR LOCAL LAKE HAS BEEN DOWN 45 FEET BELOW NORMAL IN EARLY MAY, IN A BAD DROUGHT.  AND IT IS NEARLY FULL.  LAKE LEVEL WENT UP 34 FEET LAST WEEK.
 
LOVE YOU ALL
WANDA
*************
Hello,
Khaki and I were asked to give a  presentation on Service dogs vs Therapy dogs to an organization that was established in 1874 called Centre County Grange. 
As I passed out the pamphlets that Lynne and Renee designed Khaki remained poised and regal by my side.
always watching what the others were doing even glancing behind him now and then. Presentation went well.
A lot of great question were asked. Several people could not grasp this fact, "Why such a large dog?" until 
I said a, "For my needs a Chihuahua would not do". 
Today is the first day out of the hospital that I was unexpectedly put into. Something that I never thought 
would happen to me and being a nurse...well you know.The phone call that I made to you was from the hospital
I needed to tell you personally how important your mission is. Never dreaming that I would be in for as long as I was
I could not have done it without Khaki's help.
The education that the hospital got on Service dogs was an eye opener. Hospital beds are narrow, but some how
Khaki found away to fit when I would be transported from CT-Scan, to MRI etc.. 
He became very well known through out the hospital.
Carlene that is why I called you...(you and ALL volunteers) thru the sweat, anxiety, frustration, tears, there is 
always one thing that we cling onto and that is... HOPE.
For without hope we would not have joy. I leave you with this thought..

Shattered dreams=hope=joy.

Marsha/Khaki 


Carlene White
ServiceDogProject.org