Monday, April 29, 2024

 dd 4 29

ongggg. Story,,,

Here's just some of my education in the Dane business ---long ago like in the 1980 eights I got inspired to own a Harlequin Great Dane basically because I had seen pictures of ones that had won Westminster dog show great big black and white Danes so I started out looking.. quickly zeroing in on AKC breeders and being very impressed with champions and things like that..  but very early in the game I noticed that every AKC breeder I had contacted was bragging about the amount of BMW bloodlines that were in their dogs.   So I figured I better go see these  BMW dogs---turns out there kennel was on Long Island and though I hate boats I took a ferry boat from grotten to the tip end of Long Island in order to go see these dogs---- the owner of the kennel was Laura Kyle lanes I don't know how you spell it something like that she was an architecture who worked in Manhattan and she had lovely dogs.. it was decided I could buy one of her puppies in the next letter and I did that which turned out to be Tiffany beautiful dog look just like sizzle..  Laura also sold or gave me a mail dog I've forgotten which and I didn't at the time realized that she had intended to use that dog for breeding but as the days turned into months I decided th male was not really up to what I like and so I had him neutered . Laura was very upset that I could remember her saying you don't realize what you've done when basically all I did was have a male dog neutered that I really didn't think it was worth breeding but any rate she said he was the only one I had in that line I was new at this game I knew nothing about lines and genetics and things like that but I was soon to learn it. I was of the opinion if you want a female Dane and you want to breed it you found an AKC champion Dane and for a certain amount of money they'd breed it for you -----it's not that simple.

 

My basic agreement with Laura was if I was to breathe the female I let her pick the male and she got half the price of anything she helped sell I said fine not realizing that when the puppies were about six weeks old I found out that she had all of them sold and I wasn't going to have any of them which made me very angry and also made me just keep them all which is how I ended up with eight great Danes running around Boston in that crazy bed... 

They were wonderful dogs.. though I never did register them..  they were all registered in Laura's name. --.

 

Aside from being  a super intelligent Architecture for Manhattan Laura knew her dogs--and you will see BMW bloodlines in many Danes today- but having angered Laura, she would not give me a male to breed. Tiffany..  which ended up with me flying all around the mid West looking at great Dane stud dogs. and most people would not breed to my female as she was unregistered --- ( I ended up buying Mary The Super intelligent donkey from Kansas City)  

However I found the owner of country run Danes on the Hudson River willing to let me use   their “EARL” for $1000.

And I was off running... But I had a bunch of puppies by Earl so therefore I didn't want to breed him again and I found out it's not easy to find a nice sound healthy Great Dane in the United states..  which is how I ended up going to Europe It's almost easier to buy a puppy in Europe than to deal with the AKC here in the United states—

I just kept that scenario going for the next 25--30 years. basically the BMW bloodline was the strength of my females

and I used studs from Europe to keep the gene pool mixed.

 

Actually I bought the male dogs and for the most part parked them with friends and neighbors around here.

Which is why in Georgetown MA I think is where they both  are.. there are two stud dogs there are better than most of the others you'll find in the United states namely Tigger (harl) and Sir Richard--  who is the Merle from Claudia Bohemia’s kennel in the Czech Republic.  he is better bred than anything I found in the USA.

I think both are still there and  available.

 

The other problem is that I think all female from my breedable line have been spayed and neutered so there is no way of going forward with that .  If there is anyone still out there with an unspayed female from.. shall we call it carlene's line please let me know..  not too sure what I can do about it but I could think about it

 

I do hope that any of the Dane world I should say normal Dane world.. who is thinking of having a litter of pups do consider those two dogs I don't think you'll find any better anywhere else..  The people who have these stud  dogs basically on loan from me but scrap all the details.. I think Megan knows where they are and who they are.  I might have the phone number somewhere but all I ever had to do was make a phone call and the stud dog would appear in my kennel,, it worked very well for 20 odd years..  I worked very hard to mix  a dog from the Claudia Bohemia line  with my bmw dogs.

 photo credit---

Here is laura with 5 huge danes in a tiny rowboat--- she took them – almost daily over to fire island “for a run” -there is not much boat left for any wiggle room...  she knew her dogs.  eventually she liked what I was doing.

 

Her other claim to fame was she had a lufthaunsa  pilot friend who used to bring her semen in his shirt pocket aand she bred many dogs in the ladys room of kenedy airpoort.